The Regional Council of Goyder, as are all local government councils in South Australia, is bound by the Development Act 1993 and Regulations, the main legislation administered by Planning SA to facilitate the planning and development of South Australia. The primary function of the Act is to regulate development in order to :
- enhance the conservation, use and management of land and buildings;
- enhance the amenity of buildings;
- provide for the health and safety of people who use buildings;
- protect the environment;
- ensure efficient and uniform technical requirements for building; and
- advance the public interest.
The Regional Council of Goyder's Development Plan provides the framework of and policy guidelines for the orderly and appropriate development of the Council area.
The Plan can be viewed online by clicking on the link below - pleasenote that this is a large file and may take a few minutes to download.
A copy of the Development Plan is also available for viewing at the Council offices.
So what is Development?
In the Act, Development is defined as :
- the construction, demolition or removal of a building or the making of any excavation or filling for, or incidental to, the construction, demolition or removal of a building;
- a change in the use of land;
- the division of an allotment;
- the construction or alteration (not by the Crown, a council or other public authority) of a road, street or thoroughfare (including excavation or other preliminary or associated works);
- in relation to a State Heritage place - the demolition, removal, conversion, alteration or painting of, or addition to, the place, or any other work that could materially affect the heritage value of the place;
- prescribed mining operations on land; or
- any other act or activity in relation to land (other than an act or activity that constitutes the continuation of an existing use of land) as listed in Schedule 2 of the Regulations.
It is within the philosophical context and legislative framework of The Act and Regulations that the Regional Council of Goyder has prepared and implements its own Development Plan.
How do I find out more about the Development Act, 1993 and Regulations?
- The documents are available online, via the websites of Planning SA or the Parliament of South Australia
'About Your Home' Website
Prepared by the Department of Climate Change and Energy, 'Your Home' is a suite of consumer and technical guide materials and tools developed to encourage the design, construction or renovation of homes to be comfortable, healthy and more environmentally sustainable.
- The Your Home Technical Manual gives you the information you need to design and build a more comfortable home that is less expensive to run while more environmentally friendly. Written by designers and builders, for designers and builders, it is the definitive tool for creating a home that is enjoyable to live in, cost effective and environmentally sensitive. The Technical Manual contains over 60 individual fact sheets full of environmentally sustainable solutions for designing and building your home.
- The Your Home Renovator's Guide will take you through the process of renovating your home step-by-step, explaining what to look for and the important questions to ask.
- The Your Home Buyer's Guide will take you through the process of choosing a new home step-by-step, explaining what to look for and the important questions to ask.